Targets: Transverse abdominals, glutes, quads, and hamstrings
- Start in a low lunge with right leg forward and left leg back. Place fingertips on the floor, draw navel in, and lift abdomen off of right quad so you can feel abdominals contract.
- Maintain this contraction while lightly tapping the toes of left (back) foot forward next to the right (standing) leg and back to starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps on each side.
Long Spine Twist
Targets: Abdominals (oblique and transverse)
- Lie faceup on the floor, hands flat on the floor next to hips.
- Engage abs and lift legs off the floor, rolling up slowly until legs are vertical and just mid-back is on the floor (shoulder stand).
- Add a twist at the top, alternating sides each rep.
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Targets: Adductors, glutes, quads, back extensors, and abdominals
- Stand with feet hip-width apart. Lift right leg and step out to the right, keeping feet in lateral line with each other.
- Bend deeply into right knee, keeping weight in heel. Lift right leg and balance on left leg, then extend torso to horizontal and extend right leg backward so body forms a “T” shape.
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps per side.
Targets: Shoulders, abdominals, quads, triceps, and pecs
- Start in plank with feet hip-width apart.
- Lift left arm and right leg. Exhale and contract abs, bringing left elbow and right knee together below belly button. Alternate sides.
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Targets: Glutes, quads, and abdominals
- Start in a low squat with heels lifted, arms extended.
- Lean back and slowly lower knees to the floor until in a high kneeling position.
- Engage abs and shift weight back to the balls of feet, lifting knees off the floor, returning to starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
Bridge Thread the Needle
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings, and obliques
- Lie faceup on the floor, knees bent, feet planted. Lift hips into bridge position and extend right leg straight out at a diagonal angle.
- Bend right knee, thread right foot underneath left knee, extend back out at a diagonal.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps on each side.
- Lie faceup on the floor, legs in tabletop. Extend arms along sides. Roll head, neck, and shoulders up off the floor and hold the deep abdominal contraction.
- Pump hands up and down to create a stability challenge. Breathe in for a count of 5, breathe out for a count of 5. For a challenge, try various leg positions (scissor, V, extension).
- Do 3 sets of 10 rounds of 10 breaths.