1. Quality and Durability: Look for a Reformer made from high-quality materials, with a sturdy construction designed to withstand regular use. Consider the frame construction, the durability of the springs, and the overall stability of the machine. A durable Reformer will last longer and require fewer repairs or replacements.
2. Adjustability: Opt for a Reformer that offers a wide range of adjustments to accommodate users of different heights, sizes, and fitness levels. Adjustable foot bars, headrests, and springs are essential for tailoring workouts to individual needs. These features are crucial as they enable you to customize your workouts based on your strength and progress over time.
3. Smooth and Quiet Glide: A Reformer with a smooth and quiet gliding mechanism enhances the overall experience during exercises and ensures minimal distractions.
4. Spring System and Resistance Options: The spring system provides resistance for various exercises. Choose a Reformer with multiple spring options, as it allows for a broader range of difficulty levels and targeted muscle engagement.
5. Comfort and Ergonomics: Consider the features of the Reformer, such as the padding and upholstery for comfort during exercises, adjustable headrest and shoulder rests, consider the height and width of the foot bar and its positions, loops for use with hands and feet, and other components to ensure they accommodate your body size and provide proper alignment. Ergonomically designed Reformers provide better support and reduce the risk of discomfort or injuries during workouts.
6. Reformer Accessories: Some reformers come with additional accessories like ropes, box, and jump board, which can expand your exercise options. Consider whether these accessories align with your preferences and goals, and if they are included or need to be additionally purchased.
7. Safety Features: Safety should be a top priority. Ensure that the Reformer has secure locking mechanisms, non-slip surfaces, and a stable base to prevent accidents and injuries.
8. Brand Reputation: Research reputable brands known for producing high-quality Pilates equipment. Brands with positive customer reviews and a strong presence in the fitness industry are usually a safer choice.
9. Space Efficiency: Consider the dimensions of the reformer and ensure that it fits comfortably in your available space, whether at home or in a studio. Some Reformers offer a foldable design, which can be beneficial for studios with limited room.
10. Price and Warranty: Pilates reformers can vary significantly in price, depending on the brand, features, and quality. Set a budget that works for you and try to find a balance between affordability and quality. Compare prices and check the warranty offered by the manufacturer. While the best Reformers may be more expensive, they often come with longer warranties, ensuring that you’re covered for potential defects.
Ultimately, the “best” Pilates Reformer for you will depend on your specific needs, preferences, and budget.
Some of the major domestic Pilates brands are PilatesEquipment.Fitness, Balance Body, Merrithew/Stott Pilates, Gratz Pilates, Basi Pilates, and Peak Pilates. All the other brands are resellers which in some occasions do not offer proper warranties, delivery times promised, and pre & post customer service such selling spare parts, etc.
Nowadays, the market is extremely cannibalized and confusing, making it very complicated for those Pilates brands to sell, and often difficult for a customer to identify what would be the best brand to buy from. The resellers, for example, through other e-commerce channels, and daily created websites, get fake reviews from non-verified customers, copy the brand name, the texts, the photographs of other genuine brands, offering the apparatus at much lower prices.
Some other companies work the Dropshipping method which is a business model that allows you to sell products online without having to own or operate the physical location where those products are stored and processed. This means you can start an ecommerce store and sell a wide range of products without handling inventory and fulfillment. This method might not be so convenient in the Pilates sector as if you have any inconvenience after the purchase, the level of response of the seller can be longer or inexistent. Be aware of fraud in order to make a wise decision before going to the cart.
It’s essential to try out different reformers if possible before making a purchase. Visit Pilates studios or fitness equipment stores to test different models and get a feel for what suits your needs and preferences best. Additionally, reading customer reviews and seeking recommendations from Pilates instructors or practitioners can also provide valuable insights.
By Alison Parker